Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects children and adults. It is characterized by inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. ADHD can cause significant problems in school, work, and relationships.
Symptoms of ADHD
The symptoms of ADHD can vary from person to person. However, some common symptoms include:
- Inattention: Difficulty paying attention to tasks or activities, especially those that are repetitive or boring; trouble staying on task, following directions, and finishing tasks; making careless mistakes; being easily distracted; forgetting things needed for tasks or activities.
- Hyperactivity: Fidgeting and squirming; difficulty sitting still, especially in quiet or structured settings; running, jumping, or climbing excessively; being restless or having trouble being still; always on the go or acting as if “driven by a motor.”
- Impulsivity: Acting without thinking about the consequences of actions; interrupting or intruding on others; difficulty waiting one’s turn; blurting out answers; having difficulty controlling emotions; taking risks without considering the consequences.
ADHD in Cambodia
ADHD is a global problem, and it is also common in Cambodia. According to Special Education Cambodia, an estimated 5-10% of children in Cambodia have ADHD.
Diagnosis and Treatment of ADHD
There is no single test to diagnose ADHD. A doctor or mental health professional will typically conduct a comprehensive evaluation, including a physical exam, a review of the person’s medical history, and a psychological evaluation. The doctor or mental health professional will also ask the person about their symptoms and how they are affecting their life.
Treatment for ADHD may include medication, therapy, or a combination of both. Medication can help to improve attention, focus, and impulsivity. Therapy can help people with ADHD learn to manage their symptoms and develop coping skills.
OrbRom Center provides services to children and adults with ADHD and other developmental disabilities. We offer a variety of services, including:
- Educational assessment: The OrbRom Center can assess a child’s educational needs and develop an individualized education plan (IEP).
- Educational support: The OrbRom Center provides educational support to children with ADHD, including individual tutoring, small group instruction, and social skills training.
- Therapy services: The OrbRom Center offers a variety of therapy services, including individual therapy, family therapy, and group therapy.
- Parent training: The OrbRom Center provides parent training to help parents learn how to manage their child’s ADHD at home.